Here are just a few of the ways we are providing eco-friendly catering (otherwise known as “green” catering):
- Local foods: We use as many locally produced products and locally grown or raised foods as possible.
- We provide organic foods to those clients who so desire and order them.
- Dinnerware is clients’ choice of re-usable, recyclable, biodegradable and/or compostable. NO Styro!
- We provide beverages and condiments in bulk where appropriate (and allowed by client.)
- Recycling is provided for staffed events.
- Leftover food from events is donated to local shelters or the St. Vincent de Paul Dining Room.
Facility and Operations
- We recycle all glass, cardboard, metal and plastic containers.
- We re-use or recycle all boxes that are delivered to our facility.
- We participate in Waste Management’s food waste recycling program.
- We recycle all of our cooking grease.
- We installed new warehouse and kitchen energy-efficient lighting, digital thermostats, timer switches on remote warehouse areas, and installed CFLs.
- We installed flow restrictors on all faucets and changed all toilets to low flow, 1.6 gallon.
- Dishwashing detergent is bio-degradable.
- Office paper and paper towels are recycled paper.
Here are a few ways for you to “green” your event:
- Invitations: Send email, use a free email invite service or setup a web site instead of sending paper. If you are using paper for invites or handouts, use recycled paper.
- Avoid food waste: Ask your guests to RSVP so you order appropriate amount of food based on the number of guests you expect.
- Rent dishes and silverware. When that is not possible, order bio-degradable or compostable dinnerware. If you opt for plastic, encourage guests to recycle them.
- Order your beverages and condiments in bulk instead of individually packaged.
- Use cloth napkins and tablecloths.
- Use plants or re-usable items for décor vs. cut flowers.
- If budget allows, go organic. The short term cost of organic is more expensive but saves more (the planet) in the long term.
- Encourage guests to car pool or take public transportation to your event. 511.org can help your guests plan their trip via public transit.